Last Updated: July 22, 2022
TutorChat (“TutorChat”, “we”, “our”, or “us”) values the privacy of children and of all of our students. This COPPA Policy (“COPPA Policy”) is designed to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and its rules (as amended, “COPPA”). COPPA requires us to inform parents and legal guardians (as used in this policy, collectively, “parents”) about our practices for collecting, using, and disclosing personal information from or about children under the age of 13 (collectively, “children”). It also requires us to obtain verifiable consent from a child’s parent for the collection, use, and disclosure of the child’s personal information.
TutorChat is a non-profit organization that uses math/ELA tutoring as a means to build GROWTH MINDSET skills to both tutors and students. ("TutorChat")
This policy notifies parents of:
- the types of information we may collect from or about children.
- how we use the information we collect.
- our practices for disclosing that information.
- how he or she can access and correct his or her child’s personal data and information
Except as specifically provided in this COPPA Policy, we do not collect any personal information directly from children, only from their parents.
Data and other Information We Collect from or about Children
To subscribe to TutorChat, a parent must provide the child’s first and last name, his or her grade level, school attended, hobbies and a contact information.
We do not collect more personal information about a child than is reasonably necessary to subscribe to our tutoring program.
Automatic Information Collection and Tracking
We use technology to automatically collect information from our users, including children, when they access and navigate through the Site and TutorChat and use certain of its features.
The information we collect through these technologies may include:
- one or more persistent identifiers, such as the IP address, that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different websites and online services
- browser information, including what browser a child is using.
- actions while visiting the Site or participating in the TutorChat sessions including log-in time and when a child clicks the log-in link that we sent.
We do not combine non-personal information we collect through these technologies with personal information about you or your child that we collect online.
How We Use Your Child’s Data or other Information
We use the personal information we collect about your child to:
- decide whether to approve subscription to TutorChat;
- enable your child to participate in the tutoring sessions;
- maintain a record of the levels that your child has completed;
- understand how students access and use TutorChat; and
- improve our Site, TutorChat and the other TutorChat Services.
Our Practices for Disclosing Children’s Information
We do not share, sell, rent, or transfer children’s personal data or other information other than as described in this section.
We may disclose anonymized or aggregated data and other information about our users, including children. In addition, we may disclose children’s personal data and other information:
- if we are required to do so by law or legal process, such as to comply with any court order or subpoena or to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of TutorChat, our customers or others, including to:
- protect the safety of a child;
- protect the safety and security of TutorChat or TutorChat;
- enable us to take precautions against liability;
- law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety.
In addition, if TutorChat is involved in a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of TutorChat’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding or event, we may transfer the personal data and other information we have collected or maintain to the buyer or other successor.
Accessing and Correcting Your Child’s Personal Data and Information
You may review your child’s personal information maintained by us, require us to correct or delete the personal information, and/or refuse to permit us from using the child’s information at any time.
You can review, change, or delete your child’s personal data or information by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to take certain steps or provide additional information to verify your identity before we provide any information or make corrections. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to respond to your request within thirty (10) days.
Changes to This COPPA Policy
The policies indicated in this COPPA policy will remain effective, even if the Terms and the other agreements between us are terminated and you are no longer using the Site, TutorChat or any of the other TutorChat Services.
To ask questions or comment about this COPPA policy and our privacy practices or need to reach us for any other reason, you may contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.